We had a special visitor to our classroom before the Easter holidays. We kept finding footprints in our classroom and the children were quick to say what they thought they were. We had a look around our classroom to see if we could work out what it was.
Miss Parker decided to set up a special camera when we all went home to see if we could find out what had been to our classroom. You won’t believe what it was, we caught a dinosaur on camera!!!! It had been right through our classroom!
That wasn’t the end of it though. The dinosaur came back the next day and and we saw it on the camera again walking around the other end of our classroom.
We couldn’t believe our eyes, especially as this time he had brought us a box. We had to read it. It said,
It was from the dinosaur and he wanted our help. We had to read the letter he had sent us so we knew what to do.
Then there was another reading job to do as we matched the information to the correct dinosaur name. We then made our information into a book for Mr T Rex so he didn’t feel so muddled. He sent us another letter to read which said Thank you.
We loved having a dinosaur come and visit us in school although I think a few of us were glad that we didn’t actually come face to face with a T Rex!
What we have been learning?
- to read simple texts with a purpose.
- to learn more information about the dinosaurs.
- to imagine what it would be like to have a dinosaur in our classroom!
How can you continue the learning at home?
- read everyday with your child. Even if it is a more difficult text they can help you read it by saying the sounds they know and looking for tricky words such as I, go, no, the, to, into, me, my, be, she etc.
- find out some more information about dinosaurs using books and the internet. You can visit the Library and look for books about dinosaurs. Turn the information you find into your own book.
- imagine what it would be like to have a dinosaur in your house! Can you draw a picture of what might happen?