Last week in school was Careers Week. We had lots of special visitors to our classroom over the week. Can you remember who came?
First we had a visit from the PCSOs (Police). They came to have a play in the classroom and see what we do in Foundation Stage Two. It was fun to be able to play with all the toys in Onyx classroom together. Then we talked to them and they told us all about being in the Police and how you get to be in the Police. Some of us want to be in the Police when we are older.
Then Miss Parker’s mum came to visit us. We are used to seeing her in the School Library but not in our classroom. She came to tell us all about when she was a Librarian at the University. Did you know librarians have to go to Library School? They also have to read a LOT of books. If you love books maybe you could be a Librarian one day.
Finally Miah’s mum came to visit us and tell us about her job in a Care Home. She has to work very hard and told us all about the different jobs she has to do to help keep the old people happy and safe. She came to see us in her special uniform so we could see it.
A huge thank you to everyone who came to talk to us about their job. What would you like to do when you grow up? Maybe you could draw a picture and bring it to show Miss Parker in class.
After Grandparents Day, we started talking about our families and who is in our family. It sparked lots of learning about our families and people we know. We brought photos in from home of our families to share with everybody. It was also National Poetry Day in the same week so we combined the two and wrote our own poems. We had to tell the grown ups our ideas and they helped us to make them into a poem.
Look at our Anthology here….
Didn’t we we do a marvellous job? Did you find your poem? You can find the actual book in our classroom in the Book Corner.
You can see some of the other learning we did in our Floor Book here…
We talked about the babies in our family and what happens as we grow up and get older. We thought if it was better to be a kid or to be a grown up! I wonder if our grown ups think the same as we did?!?Miss Parker brought her teddy bear which she got when she was only a few days old. We looked at it to see how much she had grown and also talked about what had happened to the bear since then.
We talked about teddy bears and wanting to go to Build A Bear Workshop at Meadowhall. We’re hopefully going to go in the New Year so look out for the letter.
What have we been learning?
- Who is in our family and how everyone is related.
- To talk about our family and to say what is important to us about them.
- To put our ideas into a poem.
- To recognise our names in the Anthology and names of people in our family.
- How people grow up and change.
- How objects change as they get old.
How can you continue the learning at home?
- Talk about who is in your family and how everyone is related- the children often get this confused.
- Show the poem your child wrote to the people in your family and ask them what they think.
- Try and write your own poem about something different- favourite animals, places you go etc- and bring it to school to show us.
- Look at any objects you have from your childhood with your child. Talk about how it is special to you and how it might have changed