A wonderful thing happened last week….. it got really really cold and the children found ice outside. Some of them brought it inside and began talking about it. Here is their Learning Story…….
The ideas didn’t stop there though. We began thinking about where the ice came from and how we could possibly get some more.
Sadly the water we put outside never froze because it didn’t get cold enough again. We got very excited when it snowed though!
We did start talking about frozen food in our freezers at home. Then we had a fabulous idea!
We looked for a recipe and got busy making ice cream.
The children had lots to say while they were making and tasting the ice cream they’d made.
“Are we making chips or ice cream? Oooh, its right freezing.” Harvey S
“We need a dish to mix it, you have to mix it?” Dalton
“We’re making ice cream and we’re going to taste it.” Pheobe
“Because we have to mix it up” Narla
“It looks like a cup o’tea” Grace
“My hands is freezing” Retaj
“Double bag, that means two. We wanted to try frozen food.” Corey
“Its yummy, its cold. Can we have some more?” Raghd
“My mouths getting cold because I drink ice cream, so yummy” Ya Qing
“More please” Logan
“It was nice. It look like milk. It was leaking at the side” Aiva
Everyone loved making and trying our ice cream. Maybe you could try and make some at home. Its easier than you think and you don’t need a fancy ice cream machine- just some plastic bags, ice and salt! Look below for the recipe.
What have we been learning?
- About how ice melts and how it is formed.
- Different words to describe the ice other than just cold.
- About looking for changes in the things that we observe and how to describe them.
- To use the ice we were so interested in to make ice cream.
How can you continue the learning at home?
- Try to make ice cream at home. There is a recipe if you click here. We bought a bag of ice from the shop to save us spending a long time freezing ice cubes.
- Talk about the different weathers when you wake in up a morning. How many words can you think of to describe them other than cold and hot?
- Look for other types of frozen food in your freezer. What can you find? Can you eat it straight from the freezer? Why not?