The children recently had their own idea to raise some money for Sheffield Children’s Hospital. Some of us talked about times when we’d been to the Children’s Hospital and how they had helped us.
We realised that Bake it Better Day was nearly here and we’d best start making plans for making and selling our goodies. First we had to decide what we wanted to bake, we’d baked a lot of buns and cakes already this year so decided on biscuits. Linked to our learning about France we decided on French Butter Biscuits. We also decided how much we wanted them to cost. Garnet class decided they wanted to help us and made some biscuits as well.
Everyone got busy making and baking the biscuits remembering to read the recipe carefully. We had to make sure we measured everything out carefully too.
Once we’d made and decorated our biscuits then we had to make sure we sold them all to raise the money. There was no pinching one because that wouldn’t have helped the Children’s Hospital.
We made a poster to go in the staff room so the teachers knew what was happening.
We also sent them an email so they couldn’t miss the information.
We made some special boxes to help us carry the biscuits up to the staff room. We didn’t want to drop them!!! It was also a special job to collect the money and work out any change anybody needed. We even got to meet some teachers we’d never met before.
Everyone said they loved our biscuits. Some teachers even bought two! We managed to sell them all 🙂
A big thank you to everyone who bought our biscuits. Onyx and Garnet class managed to raise £30 for Sheffield Children’s Hospital which we will send them as soon as possible. Well done to the children for their kind work to help others 🙂
What have we been learning?
- To help others by thinking of ways to raise money which will help them.
- To write posters and emails to promote our event.
- To measure ingredients after reading the recipe.
- To work out real money and change.
- To talk to people we’ve not met before and get to know some different teachers at our school.
How can we continue the learning at home?
- Talk about other people who might need our help and how we might be able to help them.
- To make some biscuits at home using the recipe for biscuits. We then decorated ours with chocolate. How will you do yours?
- Allow your child to help you with money and change at the shops. Give them £1 to buy something and wait for the change together.