When we first got there we played game called 1-2-3 Where Are You? It was hard to listen to where our friends were hiding and then go and find them. Then we all closed our eyes and listened. It was a very windy day so it was interesting to hear what we would listen to that was different to when we’d been before.
We did an activity where we looked closely at the trees. We sat under the trees and watched what was happening above our heads in the wind.
After that we all found a tree that we would like to get to know better and used our senses to find out more. We felt the tree and listened to it, then we smelt it to see if it smelt of anything.
We all our found our favourite tree and did a bark rubbing to explore the texture of the bark further. We had to work well together as a partnership to make sure the paper didn’t fly away in the wind!
Before we went back to the classroom everyone was allowed to go on one more explore of the Secret Garden to find a special object each. We decided to take them back to the outdoor environment to do one last special job.
Miss Hukin helped use when we got back to our outdoor environment to make our special objects into a mobile. Have you seen it hanging in the Mud Kitchen?
What we have been learning:
- To use our senses to explore the world around us.
- About our local environment and how to look after nature.
- About how to keep ourselves safe.
- To find out more about trees.
- To talk about a windy day.
How can you continue the learning?
- Visit your local green areas and talk about what you can hear, see, smell and touch.
- Collect come objects of your own and make a mobile for your garden at home.
- Look at different trees on your way to school and in your garden. What is special about them?