Before October Half Term we all took part in the whole school Healthy Living Week. We learnt about lots of different ways to keep ourselves safe and healthy.
First Mrs Murch came to talk to us about PANTS and our new friend Pantosaurus. It is important that we learn the special PANTS rules so we know how to keep ourselves safe.
There was a special rule to remember for each of the letters in PANTS.We had to remember Privates are private.
Can you remember what all the rules were?
After that we had a doctor come to visit us and tell us all about staying healthy but also what happens if we need to go to the doctors.
We all had such a good time we decided we wanted a Doctors’ Surgery in our classroom and asked the teachers to turn our role play into a Doctors. We have loved pretending to be the doctors and the patients.
Another day we had a special PE session with Erol. It was hard work as we tried all the activities and kept our bodies fit and healthy.
Can you remember which your favourite activity was? Which one made you the most out of breath and tired?
We were very lucky because we were able to borrow some special bikes from Taylor Shaw. They were called Smoothie Bikes because when you pedalled them you made the blender turn. We got to use them a couple of times. First, when we made pumpkin soup with the pumpkins we’d been growing and, second, when we made smoothies with fruit and yoghurt.
Which was your favourite? Can you say why?
We did some other different food tasting as well to try new and healthy foods.
Some children weren’t to sure to begin with about trying new foods but they surprised themselves when they did try them.
We also had a very different type of PE session than the one with Errol. In this one we did some Yoga and learnt to keep our bodies steady and still. It took a lot of concentration but we got really good at it and wanted to practise for the rest of the day.
We also read a book called UNPLUGGED which taught us about the importance of spending time outside and not always being inside on the computer- even if its our favourite thing to do! We learnt that being safe and healthy online means it is good to be away from the computer.
We had a fabulous week 🙂
What have we been learning?
- To keep our bodies and minds safe and healthy.
- To find out how special visitors can help teach us about staying healthy.
- About different healthy foods.
- About different types of exercise.
- To keep our bodies private and what to do if we are worried.
- To stay safe and healthy online and on the computer.
How can you continue the learning at home?
- Follow the links for grown ups above and find out more about the things we have been learning.
- Encourage your children to try new foods. Make it exciting and let them help you prepare them before you try them.
- Walk to school everyday and talk about why walking is the healthy option (or running, riding a bike or coming on your scooter)