We have been LOVING the World Cup in Onyx Class since it started. There are lots of children who are interested in football and they are embracing the opportunity to learn key skills through the topic of football.
We watched some of the highlights and talked about the scores in our Maths learning. We added to our classroom provision and played our own football matches of finger football. We loved when Miss Parker brought some football magazines and were motivated to read and find out about our favourite players.
In our literacy we thought about stories which were about football and wrote some of our own.
We wrote stories altogether and we wrote our own stories in our books.
Photos of stories to follow.
We’ll continue to keep watching the football I’m sure. We’re all keeping our fingers crossed England continue to do well
What have we been learning?
- To add scores together to find out how many were scored altogether.
- To recognise the numbers on players shirts.
- To use our fingers with control to ‘kick’ the football.
- To make up stories which include our favourite footballers.
- To write our own stories.
- To talk about our favourite footballers.
How can you continue the learning?
- When looking at football scores, work out how many goals were scored altogether. Can you write the number sentences?
- Make up your own stories using a beginning and middle and end. It doesn’t need to be about football.