The children in Onyx class have noticed that everyday the houses across the road from school are getting a little taller! You can even hear some very noisy machines at the building site from our outside area! We have been getting very curious, so we decided to go and have a look!
We seen lots of interesting things at the building site, and the children were very curious about which materials were best for building houses! Most of our houses are made out of bricks!
Abdul, “They have bricks and cement and that makes it stick”.
We enjoyed reading the story of the three little pigs and the Big Bad Wolf and finding out how they built their houses! In fact we loved the story so much, we decided to act it out ourselves with children being our favourite characters in the story!
Lots of us have been exploring different materials to build houses! We tested some different materials to see who could build the strongest house: some bricks, some staws, and some sticks. Then we had lots of fun using Miss Boyd’s haridryer as the Big Bad wolf! As we suspected the lego brick houses were the only houses not to blow away!
The children have also been doing some fantastic teamwork in the workshop, transforming a boring old cardboard box, into a beautiful house fit for the three little pigs to live in!
We have had such fun learning about houses and the three little pigs, we decided next week we wanted to learn even more about houses!
What have we been learning?
- About our immediate environment, and different types of professions such as builders.
- About how to stay safe when out and about walking as a class.
- Exploring different types of materials.
- Learning to enjoy and retell traditional tales
How can you carry on learning at home?
- Visit your local Libary and borrow a copy of three little pigs, there are lots of different versions available.
- Talk to your child about different occupations.
- provide your child with old boxes and materials for designing and building things! Let their imaginations run wild!