Onyx class has recently started to visit our local library at Manor Top! The children loved going to the library for the first time. We had to be super sensible because it meant going out of school and up past all the busy roads on Manor Top. We had to use the green man to help us cross the road and make sure we stopped at all the kerbs to check for cars. Some of our parents even came with us to help us cross the busy roads.
We were all very excited to see the Library. Some of us had been before but not everyone had.
When we got into the Library we all took our coats off and found a special mat to sit on. We had to think about our behaviour in the Library and what might be the same and different to being in school. Everyone listened carefully when we knew we had to be quiet. We also remembered to walk around the Library and look after the books putting them back carefully when we’d finished with them.
Then Miss Boyd and the teachers let us look at the books. We had a great time looking for the ones we thought looked the best. We were lucky so many grown ups came with us so they could help read the books with us. Some children found books they’d read before at home or in Nursery, some children found new books which they thought looked interesting for them.
We were sad when it was time to go back to school but we will get to visit again soon. Next time we can hopefully take a book home with us.
A BIG, BIG thank you to all the parents/ carers who came with us to the library 🙂 We love when you come to the Library with us. Look out for the next date in the classroom if you would like to come with us next time.
What have we been learning?
- to cross the roads safely.
- to adapt our behaviour to different places and if we meet different people.
- to enjoy looking at books for pleasure and looking for our favourites to read.
- to spend quiet time looking at books on our own and with friends and grown ups.
How can you continue the learning at home?
- make sure your child has a FREE Library Card so they can bring a book home the next time we go the Library. Ask in class for a form to complete,
- visit the Library with your child and look at the books together.
- enjoy books together everyday. A book at bedtime is an important part of your child’s bedtime routine.
- talk to your child about staying safe near the roads and make sure you always model good behaviour near the roads because your children will copy what you do, even if you tell them to do differently.