We had a very busy Safety Week this year. As you know already we had a visit from Don and his ambulance on Monday. He helped us think about how to keep ourselves safe and how the ambulance and paramedics can help if we do have an accident. You can read more in the post here. We also wrote our own blog post about the visit which you can see here.
On Wednesday when we went to the Hall things looked a bit different. It didn’t look safe at all. What do you think would have happened if we’d have done PE without checking? It helped us think that we must always decide if something looks safe before we use it.
We did a lot of thinking all week about online safety and keeping safe when we use the computers. Tuesday was Safer Internet Day in school. We read the book Penguin Pig by Stuart Spendlow which helped us think about if we should believe everything we see on the computer. You can access the Penguin Pig website here and even find out how to get your own copy for home.
We also read Webster’s Bedtime by Hannah Waley. Webster finds it really hard to turn all his devices off at bedtime which stops him getting to sleep.
We’ve been seeing Hector on our computer all year but we watched a video with him in and talked about how he can help keep us safe too. You can watch the Hector’s World videos here.
We started to look at the different blogs of our friends in the different classes in school. The other classes also started sending us messages on this blog and telling us what they thought. When we’re writing comments on others blogs and also writing our own posts we have to remember the Blog Rules to make sure everyone stays safe and happy. You can see our Blog Rules here. If you want to look at the different blogs of the classes in school you can find them on our home page.
On Friday we had some special visitors from Y3 and Y4 come and see us. They had been making videos to help FS2 learn about staying safe online with Miss Croxall. It was great to have them come and visit and also to learn more about staying safe from them.
Parents/ carers- if you want to know more about what your child said and what their friends said about being safe online look in our Floor Book in class. The children made some interesting comments.
What have we been learning?
- how to stay safe online.
- that you can’t believe everything you see on a computer.
- to be as kind on computers as we are in real life.
How can you help at home?
- make sure you have Parental Settings from your internet provider. You can find out more on the school ESafety blog. Parental Settings on Virgin Media, Parental Settings on Sky, Parental Settings on Talk Talk, Parental Settings on BT Internet. We can’t recommend enough having these settings on.
- talk to your child about what they are doing online and don’t just take devices from them if there is a problem- it makes them less likely to tell you they have a problem.
- watch the Hector’s World videos together and talk about what you see.