Last week we saw on the calendar it was Chinese New Year and decided that we wanted to find out more about it.
We saw on the picture and on the front of the Chinese New Year book in our classroom there was dragon. We went to look at the Y6 dragon on the staircase in school. It made us decide that we wanted to make our own. We watched a video of a dragon dance and thought we could do a dragon dance of our own. We talked about what we saw.
There was another discussion about Chinese Food. Lots of the children said they’ve not tried it before so we decided that is what we should do.
We also thought what else we wanted to know about Chinses New Year and wrote some questions. Some of us wrote it by ourselves, some of us wrote shared sentences with teacher help.
During the week we did lots of learning about Chinese New Year. We watched some videos to find out more. You can watch them here. There is one about preparing for Chinese New Year, one about celebrating Chinese New Year and one with the Chinese New Year Story.
We enjoyed having our own races outside and seeing which animal came first, second and third when we ran.
When our dragon was finished we did what we said we wanted to and took it to the Hall to do some dragon dancing. Some of us made the dragon dance and some of us played the instruments for the music.
One of our favourite things we did during the week was we tried Chinese Food. Miss Parker said we had to cook it ourselves so we went to the oven and the microwave to cook it before we could eat it.
You can see more about what we thought about our food in the floor book. You can also see we found out the answers to our questions. We also loved trying the fortune cookies.
You can see the questions we wrote and the answers we found out here…
We have loved learning about Chinese New Year!
What have we been learning?
- about how different people celebrate.
- some of the ways that Chinese people celebrate Chinese New Year.
- to think of questions about what we could find out.
- to find out the answers to our questions.
- to order numbers and use ordinal numbers such as first, second and third.
- to taste new foods and talk about how it tasted.
- to move to music and create our own.
How can you continue the learning at home?
- Watch the videos again and see if you can find out anything new.
- Have some races in the park and see who the winner is.
- Think of some other things that you’d like to find out and look in books to find the answer.