We had been talking about habitats for our dinosaur and where he might have gone. Someone had the idea to go and look in the Secret Garden so off we went…..
On our way up there we spotted a different habitat. I wonder if there is a bird living in there?
Once in the Secret Garden we played a quick game of Where Are You? to make sure everyone was listening, concentrating and comfortable in the new space.
And then we had a look for some signs of life in the Secret Garden.
We found a trail in the grass, we wondered whether that was where our dinosaur had pushed through the grass. We also found a few feathers but we decided they were from the birds not the dinosaur. We also found a big muddy patch where we looked to see if we could find any more footprints. Sadly there weren’t any but it made us think about footprints.
Miss Parker showed us some different animal footprints. After we’d thought about which animal our footprint came from, we had to find a friend who had the same footprint on their card.
They we had to think of a way to record our footprint but we hadn’t taken any pencils. Miss Parker showed us how to use Mud Paint to draw our footprints.
Sadly we didn’t find a dinosaur in the Secret Garden but we did learn more about habitats and signs to look for if we’re looking for any creatures.
When we got back to class we thought about creating a different habitat. Can you tell who it is for? Which creature would like to live here?
What have we been learning?
- Where creatures live and why they choose to live there.
- Which signs to look for when searching for creatures in the Secret Garden.
- Different ways to record our ideas when there are no pencils.
How you can continue the learning at home?
- Visit a wood or the park. Can you find any signs of creatures there? What do you think might live there.
- Make some mud paint in your garden and use sticks to paint. What can you do a picture of?