You may have noticed they are building some houses near to our school. We got the opportunity to go and have a closer look and to meet some of the builders.
First there was a Workshop session with parents and carers in the Hall. Jordan from Engie came to talk to us and share some information about house building. There was then a special building activity to do with real mini bricks. We had to work together to make a tiny house.
Then we split up into 4 groups with Garnet class and went to see the Building Site. The builders came to meet us at school and brought special hard hats and high vis vests for us to wear just like the real builders. We walked around the edge of the site looking at the houses that were being built. There was lots of discussion about keeping safe near building sites and also why we had the special clothing on to help keep us safe when we visited.
We saw detached houses and semi- detached houses. We loved looking at the big diggers. We saw builders whose job was to put the bricks on the house and other builders who dug the big holes. We found out about the different colour hats that the builders were wearing and lots more.
Can you remember what you found out from the builders? Use these photos to help prompt your memory.
We followed the visit with some learning about the story of the Three Little Pigs. It was a story the children were familiar with that they mentioned when we were talking about building in our Floor Book session. We even got a letter from the Three Pigs asking for our help to build a strong house after the disaster they had. We tried to build houses in lots of different ways. We even tested them with the hairdryer pretending to be the Big Bad Wolf!
We have loved learning about houses and how they are built. A huge thank you to everyone at Engie who made it possible and also the parents and carers who came with us so we could take the children on the walks. We couldn’t have done it without you 🙂
What have we been learning?
- About how to build houses.
- About what is happening in our school community.
- About the jobs that builders have to do everyday.
- About keeping safe on and around building sites.
- About the houses that we can build linked to a story that we know.
How can you continue the learning at home?
- Comment on the building site when you are bringing your child or taking them home from school- what has changed? What are they building now? What do you think will happen next?
- Talk about the job that builders do and other jobs which the children are interested in.
- Reinforce comments about the children staying safe and why it is important.