For our 3rd Forest School session we headed back to the Secret Garden. Everyone in Onyx Class loves the Secret Garden!
We started our session by playing the game 1-2-3 Where Are You? The children are getting really good at it now and some children managed to hide for a really long time.
We’d heard there might be some goblins and fairies in the Secret Garden so went for a closer look. There were a couple in the trees which made us decide we would like to make some our own. Miss Parker showed us how to make the clay stick to the tree and use natural materials we found to create the features of the goblins. Some of us decided to make our goblin with a friend and some of us decided to make our own.
Don’t our goblins look fabulous? Can you see the alien goblin covered in tentacles? Which one do you think it is?
We left our goblins in the Secret Garden to help look after it while we were back down at school. Maybe you’ll see them if you go up there soon.
We had one last job to do before we went back to the classroom. Miss Parker asked us to find some long natural materials which we could use for weaving. Some children found really long sticks so we decided to take them back and see if we could make a weaving wigwam.
We also made some smaller weaving frames which you can find in our classrooms.
We have loved another session in the Secret Garden for Forest Schools.
What have we been learning?
- To listen to our friends and maintain our attention on a game.
- To use our imaginations to create new goblin creatures.
- To explore the properties of natural materials.
How can you continue the learning at home?
- Talk about different creatures that you might find in a Garden. Make up some stories about what the creatures do when you’re not there.
- Look for natural materials in your gardens or at the park.
- Make your own weaving frames and weave the natural materials to create art, like this….