We’ve been doing lots of learning about bugs recently linked to getting caterpillars in our classroom and our thinking about The Very Hungry Caterpillar.
Miss Parker told us we were going to go to the Secret Garden to see if we could find some more bugs. Most of us had never been to the Secret Garden before and weren’t sure where it was. Jonathan thought we’d have to leave school and was very excited to find out it was in our school grounds.
First we listened to what we could hear in the Secret Garden. We closed our eyes and listened and then played a game where we had to listen really carefully. There were lots of birds singing. We looked hard to see where they were hiding but lots of them were hiding.
After that it was time to go looking for bugs. We had to be very quiet so we didn’t scare them away. We took special containers with us and magnifying glasses so we could collect the bugs that we found.
We found lots of bugs and even managed to find some really tiny ones. We talked about what we’d seen and compared our experiences. Miss Parker and Miss Deakin were really pleased by how we used our observation skills to not only find the bugs but then to notice details about them.
We can’t wait to go in the Secret Garden again and have asked Miss Parker if we can go again really soon!
What have we been learning?
- About the creatures which live in our Secret Garden.
- To treat creatures with care and respect.
- To talk about the things we find.
- To listen carefully listen to the sounds we can hear.
- To look for objects which interest us and talk to our friends about them.
How can you continue the learning at home?
- Visit the park and look for creatures there.
- Play i- spy to make people look carefully for different objects.
- Close your eyes and listen for all the sounds you can hear. What can you hear?