It was a very exciting weekend for some of the children in Onyx Class over the weekend of the 24/25th June because they celebrated Eid in their homes. They couldn’t wait to tell us all about it.
They wanted to show us the way that Muslims pray so came to the front and showed us.
We decided to get the prayer mats out so everyone could see them and they continued to show us how to pray the Muslim way. We found out in our information books that it is called Salah. It is one of the 5 Pillars of Islam and Muslims must pray 5 times a day.
We also found some books written in Arabic writing and learnt that in Arabic you read the writing right to left not like in English which is left to right. We already know some Arabic from when we do our register in different languages but we learnt how to say Happy Eid as well.
Assalamu alaikum- Peace be unto you (Hello)
Eid Mumbarak- Happy Eid
We were very lucky because one of our families brought us in some Eid treats to try. Can you remember which one you tried?
We also read lots of books from our school library about Ramadan, Islam and Eid. Some of them were non-fiction books, some of them were fiction like this one. They all taught us all more about Eid though. We also watched the CBeebies programme Let’s Celebrate to find out what else happens at Eid. Click here to find the clips we watched.
While we talked about Eid and Islam we also talked about some of the other children’s experiences of religion. We found out some children prayed in different ways and went to Church instead of Mosque.
What have we been learning?
- About celebrations that are important to children in our class.
- That different people celebrate different religious events and festivals to us.
- What happens at Eid and some of the ways which Muslims practice their religion.
How can you continue the learning at home?
- Talk to your child about the celebrations which are important in your family.
- Look for different religious buildings in Sheffield, such as churches and mosques.
- Use books from the library to find out more about different celebrations.