For Global Citizenship Week we refreshed our learning about Fairtrade from earlier in the year. We learnt about how chocolate gets to us from the plants in Africa. Did you know chocolate comes from a plant?
We decided that we wanted to make something with our chocolate and because it was also nearly Easter decided to make Chocolate Easter Buns. We had to safely melt the chocolate watching carefully to observe what happens. There was lots of talk about what we could see and also smell! It smelt yummy.
We helped to make the buns following the recipe and weighing out the ingredients. We also had to count out the eggs for the top to make sure there was an equal number on each on.
What have we been learning?
- where our food comes from in the world.
- which food is Fairtrade and what this means.
- where our favourite chocolate comes from and how it gets to us in Sheffield.
- what different chocolate tastes like and how we can use different and interesting words to talk about it.
- about what happens to chocolate when it gets hot and melts.
How can you continue the learning at home?
- look at different foods at home and in the supermarket to see where it comes from.
- talk about the taste of foods using as many different words as possible. Examples are: sweet, sour, salty, spicy, chewy, soft, crunchy, fizzy, fruity, gooey, mushy, icy, cold, hot.
- look for other foods which melt when they get hot and talk about what happens when it cools down again.