We had a great time learning about volcanoes recently. It actually came about due to a misconception that one of the children had when they confused the cave in We’re Going On a Bear Hunt for a volcano.
It started is thinking what is a volcano and could we make our own. First we watched a video about volcanoes to find out more.
Then we started to think if we could make our own volcano which would erupt.
It took a full week to make as we had to do the paper mache and wait for it to dry before we could paint it. We had to look at lots of books and remember the video to find out what they looked like. We went to our school library to find some volcano books.
Finally our volcano was ready to see if it would erupt. We were all very excited to see what would happen.
Our volcano did erupt but it also spent some time when it didn’t so we talked about when volcanoes are dormant or extinct.
We also shared our learning with some of the children in Garnet class and showed them our videos.
Mateo wanted to know when we were going on a Volcano Hunt!!! Do you know where we’d have to go to find volcanoes? See if you can find out.
What have we been learning?
- What is a volcano.
- How to make different shapes so we can make a volcano.
- To be careful when doing Science investigations.
- To share our learning with our friends.
How can you continue the learning at home?
- Watch the video on the link above- what can you find out about volcanoes?
- Find some books about volcanoes at the library- where do you find volcanoes?
- Answer the following question- Would you want to stand on a volcano? Why?