We had a great time last week when we decided we wanted to learn about Space. It followed on from all our discussions and learning and night and dark the week before. There were lots of different activities in our classroom. One of our favourites was the special space writing! We had special UV pens which only lit up when you used the torch. We worked together because it could be a bit tricky to write and press the switch. Can you remember what you wrote or drew?
When we talked about space lots of us mentioned rockets so we decided to build one! This one was so big we could fit inside it. We had to decorate it so that it looked like a rocket and then design the inside so it had buttons and other functions to make it ready to fly. We made sure it had a stop and start button and also one to go faster. There was even a music player added so we could listen on our way to space. Can you see our wonderful labels for the go and stop button and for the fast button? (This is a great way to get us writing for a purpose so we don’t even know we’re doing it!)
After we’d built a rocket for our role play area we got busy building another one in Maths. We had been talking about 3-D shapes all week so it seemed the perfect opportunity to find out what we’d learnt. There were lots of amazing ideas about what we would need for our rocket- the music player showed up again! We also talked about the shapes that we could see and practised using some of the special words that we had learnt such as face, edge and vertices. Can you remember what they mean?
We decided if we wanted to go to Space would have to know what to pack to take with us. Miss Parker got a collection of things together and we thought about what we’d need. Some of us tried to write a list by listening to the sounds we could could hear. This is how we learn to write in Reception. We don’t need to be able to write every letter that we need to spell it perfectly yet (That will come later!) Can you try and write a list of some of the things that you might need to take a special trip?
Finally, there were lots more space related activities in our classroom which we could explore to find out more. The small world area was very popular and we all loved using the rocket to tell stories about Space.
What have we been learning?
- to write and mark make using our special pens.
- to work together completing different activities.
- to think how to build a rocket and what it needs to work.
- to talk about 2D and 3D shapes and think which shapes are best for which purpose.
- to write a list by sounding out and writing the sounds we hear.
How can you continue the learning at home?
- Try writing the shopping list by sounding out. Can you write the initial (first) sound in each word? Can you hear and write any of the other sounds?
- Look around your house for 3d shapes (cubes, cuboids, spheres, pyramids) How do you know which one is which? Can you describe it?
- Find books about Space. What can you find out?