When it was Bonfire Night we had lots of fun learning about fireworks. There were lots of activities to do in our classroom to really get us thinking about what the fireworks looked like and sounded like. We even had a go at moving our bodies like the fireworks.
Once we’d done all the different activities we turned our ideas into poems on the computer. Miss Parker found a programme which meant the words moved and made sounds! We had to sound out to spell the words and think carefully which letters made those sounds.
Look at some of our finished poems… Can you read them back looking at the sounds and letters?
Pictures of the poems are coming soon!
You can look in our floor book to see some more of our learning.
What have we been learning?
- To think about Bonfire Night using all of our senses.
- To think about how we can move like fireworks.
- To make pictures and models of fireworks looking carefully what we want them to look like.
- To sound out to spell new words and find the letters to make the sounds.
How can you continue the learning at home?
- Talk about different sounds and what makes the sounds. You can look on the Phonics Play website on the Phase 1 Sound Starters. Look in your homework book for the password.
- Try and sound out to spell some other simple words. Do you know what the letters look like for each sound?
- Think about the different times of year we have fireworks. Which celebrations often have fireworks?