We had lots fun this week exploring pumpkins in our classroom. We started talking about pumpkins when we talked about Halloween.
“I were drawing a pumpkin, a monster.”- Elijah
“My Dad’s going to get a pumpkin. Its going to be small, not that big of a giant monster”- Kiefer
“You scoop the top off, then scoop the face, then put the candle in.”- Taela-Rose
“Its really heavy because you can’t really hold it. It might drop out of your hands.”- Mia
We put some pumpkins in our class to explore and investigate.
We looked carefully at the pumpkins inside and outside. We had to tell each other and the grown up what we could see, smell, feel, taste and hear.
We also tasted some pumpkin soup because most of us had never tried pumpkin before. Some of us thought it tasted nice but some people weren’t so sure! Can you tell who liked it from looking at our faces? Can you remember what it tasted like to tell your grown ups at home? We also learn how the pumpkin is a plant and how it is a fruit. We knew that if we planted the seeds we might get a pumpkin next year. We planted a few to give ourselves the best chance. We’ll have to take care of them by watering them regularly and put them in the BioDome over the winter. Keep your fingers crossed the seeds grow. Can you see our amazing writing as well? We had to listen carefully and write the sounds we heard to write the word pumpkin.
What have we been learning?
- To describe the pumpkin using our senses to generate as many interesting words as possible.
- To taste new foods even if we weren’t sure about it to begin with.
- To feel different textures and think about how to describe them.
- That pumpkins have a life cycle and the seeds can turn back into a pumpkin.
How can you continue the learning at home?
- Look for seeds in other foods- such as apples, pears, tomotoes etc.
- Grown some seeds in your garden such as wild flowers.
- Try different and interesting foods at home.
- Try and write some words at home using the sounds that you can hear- if your child hears the sound they might still need help knowing what that sound looks like as a letter.