We had a visitor in Onyx class the other week. The Gingerbread Man left us some clues in our classroom. We had to go on Gingerbread Man hunt around the whole school. He left us some clues to work out. Can you remember where the clues told us to go?
I didn’t want to be a snack, I bet you’ll never get me back. Now got to the place where there’s lot of books.
Mr Sieczkarek told me to stop running away or I wouldn’t be able to go out and play. I walked away before we could meet and went to the place where we eat.
You’ve not caught me yet but you will soon I bet. I’ll tell you for free I’ve gone where their three.
We found out where lots of new places were in our school. Some of us had never been there before. We also got to meet lots of people who work in our school. Can you remember all the places we went? Can you remember all the people we meet along the way?
When we got back to the classroom we found some gingerbread men. Everyone enjoyed their special treat. It started us talking about the Gingerbread Man and what we knew about him.
We decided that’s what we want to learn about the week after. We retold the story, we acted out the story, we counted gingerbread men, we made some of our own in the creative workshop and then we baked some of our own as well. It was a busy week!
We had an interesting question to find out in Maths as well- Which part of the Gingerbread Man do you eat first? Although Miss Parker didn’t tell us this at first, she just told us that we were only allowed to take one bite. It was hard not to gobble him all up! When we took our bite we looked to see who had eaten which part first. Most of us had eaten the head first!
And we still never caught the Gingerbread Man. We only got to eat the little ones he left for us. Don’t forget to keep an eye out for him at home!
What have we been learning?
- To learn where the different spaces are in our school, insides and out.
- To learn some of the other people who are in our school and where our big brothers and sisters classrooms are.
- The story of the Gingerbread Man.
How can you continue the learning at home?
- See if your child can tell you about the photographs above- Who can you see? Where did we go?
- Try and make some Gingerbread Men at home. You can find a recipe here.
- Find out which part of the Gingerbread Man people eat first at your house. Which is the most popular?