We had an amazing day at Cannon Hall Farm. It was so exciting going on the coach to get there. Some children even read the map on the coach to help show us the way. We saw Meadowhall on the way. It took us a while to get there but we knew we were getting close when the houses disappeared and there were lots more fields. It looked very different to Manor Top.
First, we had a snack to get us ready for the day ahead.
After that we met Darryl and went for a look at the animals. Some children thought it was a little bit stinky! Darryl showed us the pigs first and there were some that were only 4 days old. They were much smaller than the rest. Can you remember all the other animals we saw?
When we’d seen lots of animals it was our turn to feed them. Darryl gave us some special feeding pellets and we had to find the special chutes to get the food to the animals. After we had to make sure we remembered to wash our hands.
After feeding the animals we went to meet a new friend. Everyone was very gentle when were were allowed to stroke the rabbit and made sure we took care of him.
Before it was time for lunch we went to watch the sheep racing! Everyone got a special ticket for the colour sheep they thought would be the winner. Can you remember who the winner was?
Then it was time for lunch. We were all really hungry after a busy morning.
First in the afternoon we went to see the sheep and the lambs. We had to climb up high onto a special platform and be careful not to scare the sheep and lambs. It was great to be able to see them from above.
After that it was time to go and see the cows being milked. We’d talked about this in school and lots of us knew that milk came from cows. We’d not seen it actually happening before though. We looked really carefully and could see the milk on the bottom and the cream rising to the top.
Finally the part of the day everyone had been really excited about- we got to go on the Adventure Playground! It was lots of fun 🙂
And then it was time for us to go back to school. What an amazing day we all had at Cannon Hall Farm.
Look at our floor book pages to see what we had to say about our fabulous day out.
This is what we said before we went…
And this is what we said when we got back…
Come back soon to find out what we did with the cream we got from Cannon Hall Farm.
What have we been learning?
- the animals which live on a farm.
- the names of the baby animals and which adult they match with.
- some of the different produce which comes from farm animals.
- about a location different to Manor Top.
- how to take care of animals.
- to make sure we keep ourselves safe and clean on the farm by keep waking our hands.
How can you continue the learning at home?
- visit Graves Park or Heeley City Farm to visit the animals there.
- have a look for different foods in the supermarket and see if you can see any which come from a farm.
- think about how to take care of pets in your home. How is this the same and different to the how the farmer takes care of the animals on the farm?
- Click on the link to see the Cannon Hall website and even watch a video of some of the animals.