We started talking about birds the other week when we were talking about camouflage (another child initiated idea). The children got very excited about looking for birds and loved being outside with the checklists looking to see what was about.
Some of the children even built themselves a small hide so they would be camouflaged from the birds and they might see more.
We talked about what the children could see…..
“When it were dinner, I see some birds”- Harvey S
“I was camouflaging myself with my coat”- Lucas
“It flies”- Grace
“It got black and white”-Elisha
We started to think how we might encourage more birds into our Outdoor Area.
“With some food”- Dalton
“Seeds, but I got a good plan to get the birds to come. Get a tray, fill it with seeds then get a hide out. Then get camouflaged”- Corey
We talked about if anyone had heard of special bird cake…
How do we make bird cake?
We found some instructions in a recipe and got busy making the bird cake.
We’ve hung the bird cake up on our trees and now we just have to wait and see if it works. Do you think it will work?
What have we been learning?
- About the world around us and the animals which live in it.
- To talk about the different animals (birds) we see and describe them.
- To follow a recipe measuring out the ingredients in the correct order.
- To feel different textures when making the bird cake and talk about how they feel.
- To observe the natural environment and comment on what we see.
- To think about the feelings of others (the birds) and what they like.
How can you continue the learning at home?
- Look for birds you see when you’re at home and out and about.
- Talk about the birds you see at home and out and about.
- Talk about the different foods that animals eat and compare them to our foods- would you like to eat the bird cake?
- Use this recipe for Bird Cake and make some at home.