We’ve started to visit the local library at Manor Top every other week.
Everybody has to walk to the library looking after their partner. We have to remember everything we’ve learnt about road safety when we cross the busy roads on the Manor Top.
We also look out on the way to see what we can see. We often look in the chemist windows and the card shop to see what is popular at the moment. When we went to the library there were lots of Halloween goodies. We usually see a tram or two as well.
When we get to the Library we have to remember to use our quiet voices and to walk around the Library. We also have to remember to be really careful with the books and put them back where we find them.
We are allowed to choose our favourite books although sometimes Miss Parker asks us to find books about what we’ve been talking about in class. We know that the books can teach us more about the things we have been learning.
After we’ve had some time looking at the books were allowed to choose a book to take home. To do this we need a Library card which we keep at the Library. We have to use the special computer and tell it which book we are taking home.
If your child does not have a Library card please ask us in school and we’ll give you a form so you can get one. Or you can get one directly at the Library – just tell them your child is in Onyx class.
We know it’s nearly time to go home when we listen to a story. Often the Librarian reads the story to us. We get to listen to stories that we don’t have in school.
Can you see our parents in the background too? We love it when our mums, dads and grandparents come with us. We can take lots of extra adults with us when we go the Library so please speak to a member of staff in school if you’d like to come with us, we’ll put your name down.
Why do we go the Library? What are we learning?
- We learn to enjoy looking at books on our own and with our friends.
- We learn to read our favourite books and talk about the pictures.
- We look for books linked to out learning in class and learn that books can have information in them.
- We learn about the job of a Librarian and get to know real life librarians.
- We learn about walking safely to the library
- We talk about what we see on the way to the library.
How can you continue the learning at home?
- Visit the library with your child and family (Remember your Library card is at the Library and you can still use it even without school)
- Share books together and tell stories.
- Talk to your child about the books they see at the Library and bring home to share with you.